Quezon City residents who lost their jobs during the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic and have remained unemployed received livelihood assistance from the city government on Monday.
The Pangkabuhayang QC, a livelihood training and financial assistance program for unemployed residents, was launched at the Quezon Memorial Circle.
About 200 beneficiaries composed of hog raisers, sewers, vendors, farmers, parents of children with disabilities, and jeepney drivers received financial assistance from the city government.
The beneficiaries went through a screening process.
“Unfortunately, aside from the presence of the Covid-19 virus, unemployment is also one of our concerns for the people of Quezon City. Through this new Pangkabuhayang QC program, we can help our residents provide for their families and slowly improve their circumstances,” Mayor Joy Belmonte said in a statement.
Mona Celine Yap, head of the Small Business and Cooperatives Development and Promotions Office, said that the program is expected to jumpstart the economic recovery of the city.
“This is still part of QC’s Covid-19 response. As we help open more micro and small businesses, economic activity will continue to prosper thereby bringing income across all sectors,” Yap said during the launch.
Last year, the city government also helped businesses provide for their employees through the Kalingang QC para sa Negosyo program.
“This time, we will be directly helping our community members who continue to struggle during this pandemic. Pangkabuhayang QC will now give them a chance to open or pursue livelihoods for a more sustainable family income,” Yap explained.
The city has also started the GrowQC program that will employ residents with skills in farming, carpentry, welding, plumbing, and farm machine operation.
As of Sunday, the city still has 10,932 active Covid-19 cases and a 91-percent recovery rate — 124,388 out of a total 136,673 infections. (PNA)